About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Friday, January 18, 2013

Dulce de Leche

I finally got the opportunity to make Dulce de leche.  I've been really tempted to make it before but just never got around to it.  I was really excited to try this recipe I found from Alton Brown Alton Brown's Good Eats - Dulce de Leche recipe and it really was fantastic.

Let me first say, start with a saucepan that is big enough for the job and then double check how much you intend to make.  When the milk begins to foam it will over run your saucepan if you are not careful.  I fixed this by pouring my bubbling concoction to a larger pan, returning it to the heat and the cleaning up my stove top.  Also, make sure you have enough time to complete the recipe and allow it to cool.  I misread the time frame and thought I had about 30 minutes more than I did so mine was still very warm and drippy when I took it to my consultation.  The good thing is that by the time I got there it was still warm but cool enough to eat and drizzle over cake!

The recipe is simple but does take diligence.  You cannot walk away for long periods of time or get distracted and forget it's there for fifteen minutes at a time.  While it doesn't take constant supervision, you want to be able to check it and give it a stir every five to ten minutes.  You need to keep it smooth, well mixed and not stuck or burning on the bottom but you also don't want to incorporate the lovely layer of foam that will be created on the top.

The secret is keeping your heat low after the first simmer.  Alton's recipe has you bring it first to a hard simmer to heat the milk and melt the sugar.  Then you add your baking soda, hence the original foaming, and then bringing it down to a low simmer so that it continues to reduce down to between one and two cups of caramel colored deliciousness.  I have read that some people use salt rather than baking soda and I'm tempted to try that next simply because I think you'll get more of a salted caramel taste rather than the smooth, creamy flavor this recipe provides.

It can be used warm over ice cream, set to room temperature and spread on cake or toast or, I as found out yesterday, can be combined on a spoon with peanut butter, chocolate or bot

No comments:

Post a Comment