About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Congratulations Alex and Zan!


December 28, 2012
Smith-Gormley Wedding at The Carolina Inn

I met Alex and her mom in March of 2012 and from the first moment I was excited to be included in this wonderful event. Admittedly when I received my first emails about Alex and Zan's wedding I wasn't sure what to expect but the fact that they share an almost identical name, Alexandra and Alexander, proved to be almost a private joke amongst those in the know.
Alex and her mom Karen were such a delight to share cake with and discuss designs. They had a pretty solid idea in mind already so the hard part was figuring out what kind of cake to get.  They chose classic pound cake filled with white chocolate ganache and iced in a traditional buttercream.  They had images for me to work from and everything was set.
Fast forward to around August of 2012 and I get an email from Alex’s mom saying they’d like a groom’s cake as well.  This time pound cake covered in luscious fudge frosting.  The had a special topper for his cake that they wanted to share and so we now had two cakes.
Continued reading the email and she decided they wanted to make sure they had plenty of cake so they also got a sheet cake, or kitchen cake, to be cut in the kitchen and served to guests.  No need to leave any boxes!

All I can say is that it was a lot of pound cake but it looked beautiful.  It was a project that, when complete, you could step back and say, “Yep, that’s exactly how it should look.”


No comments:

Post a Comment