About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Monday, April 30, 2012

What's the difference?

Many times while talking with clients they describe their cake like this:
"I want three layers with...and each layer a different flavor."  This caught me by surprise the first couple of times simply because you can indeed have a three layer cake.  This isn't what they really intended.  What they were really trying to describe was a three tiered cake with each tier a different flavor. 

The first time this happened I decided to give the same description to a friend and see if she would catch the difference.  I started to describe a wedding cake that was three layers and so forth and, again to my surprise, she didn't see anything wrong with what I proposed.   Again, there are three layer cakes but I guess I took for granted that most people would know and understand the difference between a layer and tier.  Then again, depending the subject matter, I'm sure there are plenty of things I presume I know plenty about and I'm completely off the mark.

The difference between a layer and tier is this:  a layer is one part of many layers that create a tier.  It usually takes four layers of cake to create one four inch tier.  One cake pan will create one  2" layer of cake.  (There are 3" cake pans but I'm working with standard numbers today - and yes, you can fill the pan half way and make a one inch layer cake but that doesn't fit today's purpose either.)

You would need to bake two 2" cakes to achieve a tier.  Once those cakes are cooled and leveled (meaning cut off that bulge at the top so it's nice and flat) you then cut them in half horizontally so that you now have a total of 4 thin layers of cake.  Now you fill them with frosting or your desired filling and stack them one on top of the other until your assembled tier begins and ends with cake.  Once this has been crumb coated (that just means the first layer of frosting) it should measure approximately 4" tall.  That is an assembled tier.

Reflections by Cathy Foreman Photography
The picture to the right is a 5 tier cake.  I like doing really tall cakes since they are a rarity for me.

So now I know that taking even the smallest bit of information for granted is not a great idea.  Live and learn and never, ever presume.

No comments:

Post a Comment