About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Monday, April 15, 2013

Client Rejection


I recently had a potential client decide that my services would not be used. I was perplexed. We had met and had a tasting. We designed a very elegant and unique cake that fit into their budget. They were ready to make their deposit. As a matter of fact, it was only hours between the email that said they would like to pay the deposit and we will not be in need of your services.

A few years ago this whole situation would have sent me into a tailspin of,  "What did I do wrong?" I would have agonized over it and without ever asking probably never have known the answer. I would have felt defeated and just know that nobody else was going to do business with me.
From a professional standpoint I'm a little longer in the tooth now. I'm not saying it doesn't bother me when I get a rejection (because sometimes you know it's for the better) but it doesn't send me into such a drama.
When I received the above email I responded with one of my own. I am sorry that they have decided to look elsewhere and could they please tell me what changed their mind. A few years ago I would have never asked because of fear of what I'd hear. But believe it or not it was reading a business article on why it's okay to ask a client why they reject you made me feel better.

I was given a response and again did not go into a tailspin over the reaction. I have learned that a rejection is not the end of the world but if you are going to ask for a reason you should be open minded about what you may hear.

The silver lining for me is that I have a cake design in my folder of designs that I didn't have before and will enjoy creating it for display or incorporating arts into some other lucky bride’s cake. Until it's been created it's still unique and idea generation is half the battle sometimes.
So today I'm okay with my rejection; sometimes it's you, sometimes it's them and sometimes it's just best.

No comments:

Post a Comment