About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Box of Candy cake

This week I am attempting to work with chocolate in a way that is really new and experimental for me.  While I've used chocolate in cakes, as frosting on cakes, as drizzle over cakes and I've used modeling chocolate for small pieces I've never used it for structure. 
   My challenge is to create a box of candy.  The actual inside will be cake (lemon blackberry to be exact) and the "candy" will be cake as well (but I'm not spoiling that surprise).  The actaul cake box is the chocolate construction that will be my challenge.  While theoretically I know how it should work I've never done it.  I don't expect it to be tremendously hard but I still move forward with caution as the things that seem easy seldom are.  As well as the fact that whenever I've seen someone do this THEY make it look too easy!
  Since the client is my mom I told her this was an experimental first and her response - "Ok.  We just know we love the cake!"  I will attempt to get pictures as I go so that the next time I talk about this cake you can see the progress and maybe the finished results!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment