About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Is it okay to say no?

This is a tough question I have to put to myself constantly. While I am surrounded by people with my best interests at heart, offering advice and trying to keep me sane, it's still hard to for me to battle this question.

"No" is a word I don't have a tremendous amount of trouble with generally.  However, when it comes to clients, it's almost impossible for me to say this little monosyllabic word.  Do I over extend myself?  Quite a bit.  Do I work past exhaustion?  Constantly.  So here is the bigger question:  If it's okay to say no, when should you say no?

After much internal struggle I found the answer that fits best for me.  It is okay for me to say no when I take a client out of a feeling of obligation, even though I'm over booked and tired, rather than decline when it is really the best option.   I do not like to disappoint people.  And I have taken orders because of the particular challenge but now I have found where to draw my line in the sand.  Just because someone calls for an appointment or is potential client in anyway does not obligate me to sign on if I cannot produce my best work for them. 

Wow, I guess it is okay to say no.  What do you feel is the defining factor for saying "no" to a potential client/booking?

No comments:

Post a Comment