About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Friendly Advice

I've sat on this one at least a week.  At first I decided not to even touch it.  Since then I've discussed it with a number of people so obviously it's on my mind so I'm gonna put it out there in the most delicate way I can, without naming names, so that I can move on.

About a week ago I was reading one of the many blogs I subscribe to and saw a tid bit of free advice from a popular venue about things that the bride should tell or suggest that their wedding cake provider do or not do.  I am not sure who wrote the advice or if they talked to any local wedding cake professionals but the advice that was offered, unfortunately for the bride and for the baker, will cause more problems then it will fix. 

We are all (supposedly) professionals.  The last thing the bride needs, in my opinion, is the added stress of trying to tell me how to do my job and make sure I'm doing it right.  Especially if they really don't know what they're asking for or about.  Any cake professional who is worth their weight already knows how to help guide a couple in the direction that best meets their needs for visual appeal, taste, reception area and so forth.  We are prepared for outdoors, indoors, morning, afternoon or evening receptions.  We check and double check location and time and area so that we can navigate traffic, avoid problems and have time to fix anything that might be needed upon arrival. 

Helpful tips are a good thing.  There is so much involved in planning a wedding that there are so many things we can forget.  The best advice I can offer my clients: the business cards of professionals in the wedding industry that I trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment