About Me

My photo
Durham, NC, United States
My name is Veronica and I own Southern Gold Leaf Cakes. I opened my home-based business in 2008. I am a licensed and inspected home bakery specializing in custom cakes. Since all cakes are made to order there are no frozen cakes here, only fresh and only home made. I am a self-taught baker but I have a strong art background with years of baking experience. It is the most rewarding feeling in the world when you can apply your skills to do something you love. To see my cake creations and view our yummy menu visit us at www.southerngoldleafcakes.com!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Professionalism and great service!

Just as like everyone else I am consumer.  I am advertised to, marketed to and hit by sales pitches every day.   One marketing campaign that has the biggest impact, and is absolutely free, is the tried and true word of mouth effect.  It is said that for every good experience one or two people will know about it but for every bad experience at least 20 people will know immediately.  The fact is, we tend to spread the news more quickly when we have experienced something bad.  We do talk about the positive experiences but just not as quickly.  The plain and simple truth is a customer complaint is a huge black mark against any business.

When I hear complaints from brides I am speaking with I am often appalled at the manner in which they've been treated.  These are ladies who are preparing for one of the biggest days in their lives and they walk away feeling like they are unimportant;  just another client.  It can have a negative impact on the whole wedding community when their experiences are less than stellar and they begin to view all vendors in this light.

I recently had such an experience during a tasting.  While discussing the different aspects of the cake they were sampling the couple began to tell me of a tasting they had recently had at another bakery.  They had very little good to say about the event.  They continued to tell me about how many bakeries and cake caterers they had contacted who had not even returned their calls for an appointment.  They were amazed at how difficult it was proving to be to find a "professional" baker in the area.  I was stunned, not only on a professional level but on a personal level as well.   To call a bakery to ask for an appointment to taste wedding cake samples and not even get a phone call returned?  It's just rude and a bad business practice.

What has happened to professional courtesy in the service world?   It is the level of service and professionalism you provide that could be what shapes the decision of whether or not you are contracted by someone with their most special of days - their wedding.   Because I was available to take a phone call I was able to meet a wonderful couple, have great conversation and, after a second meeting, hope to bring them a beautiful cake to help them celebrate their special day.

Just remember that everyone is a consumer!  Give the service and professional attitude you expect to receive when dealing with other professionals because they are consumers, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment